31st station :新居宿 Arai

Arai-juku was located on the western shores of Lake Hamana (浜名湖 Hamana-ko). Travelers crossed the lake to reach Maisaka-juku, the previous post station on the Tōkaidō. Though there were many checkpoints along the Tōkaidō, the Arai Checkpoint is the only one that existed both on land and on the water. Both the checkpoint and post…

30th station : 舞阪 Maisaka

Maisaka-juku was located on the eastern shores of Lake Hamana (浜名湖 Hamana-ko). Travelers crossed the lake to reach Arai-juku, the next post station on the Tōkaidō. A pine colonnade form the Edo period remains today and stretches from Maisaka Station to the entrance for the post station. Many visitors still come to the area, which is…

29th station : 浜松 Hamamatsu

During the Tenpō era (1830-1844), Hamamatsu-juku was located in Hamamatsu Castle’s castle town. At the time, there were six honjin and 94 hatago for travelers to use, making it the largest post station in Tōtōmi and Suruga provinces. At the time, it was located on the right bank of the Tenryū River, but, over time,…

28th station :見附 Mitsuke

Mitsuke-juku is located on the left bank of the Tenryū River, but boats generally used the nearby Ōi River, as it had a deeper channel and fewer difficult places to navigate. However, much like Shimada-juku, whenever the Ōi River overflowed, travel through the town became impossible. In addition to being a post station, Mitsuke-juku also…

27th station : 袋井 Fukuroi

Fukuroi-juku was developed later than most of the other post stations, as it was not established until 1616. It is 9.7 km from Kakegawa-juku, the preceding post town. At its peak, Fukuroi-juku was home to 195 buildings, including three honjin and 50 hatago. Its total population was approximately 843 people. Because it was in the vicinity of the former Tōtōmi…

26th station : 掛川 Kakegawa

Kakegawa-juku was originally the castle town of Kakegawa Castle. It was famous because Yamauchi Kazutoyo rebuilt the area and lived there himself. It also served as a post station along a salt road that ran through Shinano Province between the modern-day cities of Makinohara and Hamamatsu. The classic ukiyoe print by Ando Hiroshige (Hoeido edition) from…

25th station :日坂 Nissaka

Nissaka-shuku was the twenty-fifth of the fifty-three stations of the Tōkaidō. It is located in what is now part of the city of Kakegawa, Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan. Nissaka-shuku was located at the western entrance to Sayo no Nakayama (小夜の中山), regarded as one of the three difficult mountain passes along the Tōkaidō. At the western entrance…

24th Station : 金谷宿 Kanaya-juku

Kanaya-juku (金谷宿 Kanaya-juku) was the twenty-fourth of the fifty-three stations of the Tōkaidō. It is located in what is now part of Shimada, Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan. During the Edo period, it was the easternmost post station of Tōtōmi Province. Kanaya-juku was built up on the right bank of the Ōi River across from Shimada-juku. There…

23rd Station : 島田宿 Shimada-juku

Shimada-juku (島田宿 Shimada-juku) was the twenty-third of the fifty-three stations of the Tōkaidō. It is located in what is now part of Shimada, Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan. Shimada-juku was located on the left bank (Edo side) of the Ōi River, just across from its neighboring post town, Kanaya-juku. The Tokugawa shogunate expressly forbid the construction of…

22nd station :藤枝 Fujieda-juku

Fujieda-juku (藤枝宿 Fujieda-juku) was the twenty-second of the fifty-three stations of the Tōkaidō. It is located in what is now part of the city of Fujieda, Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan. Fujieda-juku was a castle town of the Tanaka Domain.Additionally, it was a post station along the Unuma Kaidō, which ran to the salt-producing area of Sagara. It…

21st Station : 岡部宿 Okabe-juku

Okabe-juku (岡部宿 Okabe-juku) was the twenty-first of the fifty-three stations of the Tōkaidō. It is located in what is now the city of Fujieda, Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan. Between Okabe-juku and the preceding post station of Mariko-juku runs Route 1, which was part of the ancient trade route. Though most post stations along the Tōkaidō were…

20th station : 鞠子, 丸子 Mariko

Mariko-juku (鞠子宿 Mariko-juku) was the twentieth of the fifty-three stations of the Tōkaidō. It is located in what is now part of Suruga Ward in Shizuoka City,. It can also be written as 丸子宿 (Mariko-juku).Mariko-juku was one of the smallest post stations on the Tōkaidō. Old row-houses from the Edo period can be found between…