Art by Ando Hiroshige, “Oiso”, Kyoka Edition
Ōiso-juku (大磯宿 Ōiso-juku?) was the eighth of the fifty-three stations (shukuba) of the Tōkaidō. It is located in the present-day town of Ōiso, located in Naka District, Kanagawa Prefecture.Ōiso-juku was established in 1601, along with the other original post stations along the Tōkaidō, by Tokugawa Ieyasu. In 1604, Ieyasu planted a 3.9 km (2.4 mi) colonnade of pine and hackberry trees, to provide shade for the travelers.The classic ukiyoe print by Ando Hiroshige (Hoeido edition) from 1831-1834 depicts travelers in straw raincoats entering a village by the ocean during pouring rain. One is mounted, and the other is on foot. The road is lined with pine trees. By contrast, the Kyōka edition of the late 1830s depicts a prosperous village overlooking a wide expanse of Sagami Bay with the mountains of the Izu Peninsula on the far shore.
Art by Ando Hiroshige, “Oiso, Rain on a town by the coast”, Hoeido Edition
The approach through rice-fields along a narrow road lined with trees, to a curved street of huts, overlooking the sea, and travellers entering the village under a downpour of rain. This station was an isolated village on the coast. From ancient times, many poets referred to this seashore in their poems. Now a motorway has been built along the seashore and passing motorists pay less attention to this historic place.