Ando Hiroshige, late 1830s, chuban yokoye published by Sanoki
Kanagawa-juku (神奈川宿 Kanagawa-juku) was the third of the fifty-three stations of the Tōkaidō. It is located in Kanagawa-ku in the present-day city of Yokohama, Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan. It is close to Kanagawa Port.
Kanagawa-juku was established parallel to Kanagawa Port and it flourished as part of the route that goods traveled on the way to Sagami Province. Though the area had officially been designated as the place for the port to be opened, it was actually opened on the opposite shore in what is now Naka-ku, Yokohama.
After the country was opened to international trade, the center of commerce was moved to the opposite shore as well. In 1889, the town of Kanagawa was established, and it eventually merged into Yokohama in 1901.
Ando Hiroshige, “View of the Embankment“ (dai no kei, 臺之景/台之景), Hoeido Edition
View of a street along the top of a cliff overlooking Yedo Bay, and female touts trying to drag travellers into the resthouses.
This station was on a cliff overlooking a magnificent seascape of Edo Bay. One side of the highway was lined with two storied teahouses which commanded views of the beautiful bay.The land has been reclaimed from the bay seen in the picture and now forms a part of Yokohama City.
more about Kanagawa Prefecture