Ando Hiroshige, late 1830s, chuban yokoye published by Sanoki-Kyoka edition
Kawasaki-juku (川崎宿 Kawasaki-shuku?) was the second of the fifty-three stations of the Tōkaidō. It is located in Kawasaki-ku in the present-day city of Kawasaki.
Kawasaki-juku was established as a post station in 1623, by the local magistrate Hasegawa Nagatsuna. It was the last post station to be built along the Tōkaidō. It was located near Heiken-ji, a famous Buddhist temple, so it was often used by travelers coming to pray.
Ando Hiroshige, “The Rokugō Ferry“ (Rokugō watashibune, 六郷渡舟), Hoeido Edition
The classic ukiyoe print by Ando Hiroshige (Hoeido edition) from 1831-1834 depicts travelers in a ferry-boat crossing the Tama River, and passengers waiting on the further bank. Mount Fuji is depicted in the far distance.A ferry-boat crossing the river, and passengers waiting on the further bank in front of a cluster of houses; Fuji in the distance. Close to the further bank is a man on a raft.
Travellers crossing the river here by ferryboat may have felt they were being carried towards a different world. However, those returning to Edo looked forward to reentering the familiar homeland. This desolate area along the seashore is now an important industrial district of Japan.